McKinney Mommas: Tragedy at Sandy Hook, NRA and Assault Weapons Google+

Monday, December 17, 2012

Tragedy at Sandy Hook, NRA and Assault Weapons

I feel sick to my stomach.

It's hard to write about anything after the tragedy at Sandy Hook, without feeling trivial. I want to help somehow, but don't know where to start.

I lived in Connecticut for 6 years, only 30 minutes away from where the tragic school shooting took place on Friday.  I also have heard from former co-workers with relatives directly touched by this terrible event

Graphic by: sattva/freedigitalphotos.net

I want to do something.

I want to go hold the little girl who lost her twin brother in the shooting. I want to go wipe the tears from the mom's face who saw her little girl walk out the door in pink cowboy boots, for the last time in her precious short life. 

I want to write lawmakers to pass bills that will keep guns out of the hands of people who aren't mentally well.

Heck, I want laws to pass that will keep guns out of the hands of everyone that doesn't have a necessity for one!

I visited the NRA's website this week, and found it strangely silent.  

Their TWITTER account has not posted since the morning of December 14th (prior to the shooting).

 
Their Facebook page, strangely has disappeared, since posting the banner above, the day prior to the shooting. 

Coincidence? I think not.

Assault rifles should not be available to citizens as collectors pieces or otherwise (the shooter's mother purchased it to add to her gun collection). There is absolutely no reason that an American citizen should need access to a gun that is MADE for killing people.

I did a search today for "assault rifles for sale" and found numerous places online that they are available for purchase.  Something is wrong here in America.

How can we fix this?  Let's find a way to work towards making sure a tragedy like this doesn't happen again.

In the meantime........

Want to Help?

Here are a few links to resources that have been set up to help the victims of Newtown / Sandy Hook, CT:


I'd love you to share your thoughts with me below!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. Please email me directly if you need a response right away!