It's that time of the year folks. The time when people from all walks of life in Dallas (and beyond) gather together to enjoy artery hardening, fresh fried, morsels of goodness at the Texas State Fair.
It's all about the food, at least for me. Generally I'm a granola eating, steamed veggie, lean meat eating sort of person. NOT at the fair, people. I throw all caution to the wind and enjoy myself for a day. You should too.
This year, the finalists are:
- Buffalo Chicken in a Flapjack – buffalo chicken strip, flapjack batter, rolled in jalapeno bread crumbs....and FRIED!
- Deep Fried Pineapple Upside Down Cake – cake battered pinapple rings, fried & coated w/ caramel
- Deep Fried Texas Salsa™ - jalapenos, roasted garlic, onion dipped in masa and covered in chips.
- El Bananarito – deep fried banana in a tortilla, whipped cream, cinnamon, vanilla extract
- Fried Autumn Pie – puff pastry with pumpkin, powdered sugar, cream cheese and fall spices!
- Fried Bubblegum – bubblegum “flavored” marshmellow, battered and fried, baby!
- Hans’ Kraut Ball - browned pork sausage, onion, garlic, sauerkraut and mustard....FRIED of course.
- Walking Taco – fried hamburger taco sort of thing served in a Nacho cheese Dorito bag?!?
|Photo: Jessica S. Ralat.|
Anyone's mouth watering yet? Or, arteries beginning to close at the thought of all that fried deliciousness? Oh the humanity!
Last year, it was hard to try any of the “PRIZE WINNING” fried concoctions as the lines were too long, so had to settle for standard fare (i.e. Fletcher's corney dogs and fried poppers).
This year I'm going to try and go on an “off day” hopefully for better luck with the lines. I hear the Hans' Kraut (I love sauerkraut) and Fried Autumn Pie calling my name.
WHERE: State Fair of Texas - 3921 Martin Luther King Blvd. Dallas, TX 75210
WHEN: September 30th, - October 23rd
- exhibit buildings open from 10am-10pm, Friday – Monday (closing at 9 p.m. on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays).
- General Admission: $16
- Kids under 48" tall: $12
- Children 2 and under: Free
- Seniors 60 and over: $12; Free every Thursday (Oct. 6, Oct. 13 & Oct. 20)
Advance ticket sales online: Get a ticket online here now, for $13.95. Kids and seniors are $10.95.
DART + Admission ticket: Available at Kroger Food Stores, $17 buys one general admission to 2011 State Fair of Texas & round-trip transportation on DART the day of your visit. The Green Line drops off at front gate and a second station is located within easy walking distance to the MLK entrance.
$4 Tuesdays w/ Dr. Pepper: Each Tuesday, if you bring an empty can of Dr Pepper, you get admission for only $4.
Kroger "Three for $2" Wednesdays: $2 admission for each visitor bringing (3) cans of food on Wednesdays only for area food banks.
PARKING NOTE: I'd suggest taking the DART, if it's convenient as it drops you off right at the fairground gates, no need to worry about where to park........and KEEPS $15 BUCKS in your pocket for that extra corney dog you wanted to take home with you!
Now YOU be the judge, come back and tell us all about your favorites (and least favorites) at the 2011 Texas State Fair!