McKinney Mommas: My SimpleNutrition Shopping Trip at Tom Thumb Google+

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My SimpleNutrition Shopping Trip at Tom Thumb

I don't know about you, but I don't like to have to think very hard when I'm grocery shopping.  There's enough distractions with little ones, that it's hard to spend much time reading the nutritional labels for more than just a quick glance.

Tom Thumb is trying to make it easier for busy moms like me, to get healthy food into the shopping cart help by launching My SimpleNutrition - which is a personalized online tool - developed by registered dietitians -  to help shoppers find products easily that meet a specific nutritional need.



Display of Produce at Tom Thumb




Do you have a specific dietary need, like gluten-free, low sodium, or increased fiber? Well, My SimpleNutrition has a number of ways to help you find what you're looking for.


My SimpleNutrition

IN STORE: 
  • Look for In-Store Tags on selected products indicating a wealth of quick-to process nutritional information. 
  • Tags include options like: Gluten-free, organic, sugar free, low fat, good source of iron, etc.

ONLINE: 
  • Quick Substitutes: Use your Tom Thumb rewards card, and you can easily see what items you purchased on your last shopping trip, and get quick suggestions for healthier substitutes.
  • Shopping Lists: You'll be able to easily add the healthier suggestions to your grocery list for your next shopping trip.
  • SimpleNutrition Recipes: Searchable by categories like low-cholesterol, good source of calcium, sodium smart, and fat-free.

My SimpleNutrition at Tom THumb

So, when I headed into my local Tom Thumb last week, I kept my eye out for the little "SimpleNutrition" signs (pictured above) to help guide my shopping towards healthier choices. 

I was amazed at how many signs I found, that I must have usually just passed by.  Wow, this was so much easier than flipping product boxes on their sides and upside down to see whether or not they were healthy & nutritional choices for me and my family. 

I couldn't wait to see what delicious and healthy meal I could cook up when I got home from my shopping trip, after using Tom Thumb's My SimpleNutrition tools. 



My SimpleNutrition Recipe at Tom Thumb

Here's the Asian Beef Salad I made from a recipe I found on My SimpleNutrion's recipe page.  As you can see in the photo, I made my own little tweaks (as I always do) by adding sesame seeds instead of peanuts, and I omitted the serrano pepper (for my little ones). All I can say is.....YUMMY! The whole family LOVED it, including my 1 and 2 year old!


Asian Beef Salad



Ingredients Directions
  • 2 boneless beef top loin steaks, cut 1 inch thick
  • 1/2 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 4 cups torn salad greens or sliced Napa cabbage
  • 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts (optional)
  • Citrus-Soy Dressing:
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
  • 1 serrano pepper, seeded, finely chopped
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced
  1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place beef steaks in skillet; cook 12 to 15 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning occasionally. Remove; let stand 10 minutes.
  2. Whisk dressing ingredients in small bowl until blended.
  3. Carve steaks. Combine beef, onion and cilantro in medium bowl. Add dressing; toss. Serve on salad greens. Sprinkle with peanuts.

Notes:
  • To protect your hands, wear gloves when seeding and chopping the serrano pepper.
  • To trim additional sodium, use reduced sodium soy sauce 
 * * * 

To find out more about My SimpleNutriton at Tom Thumb visit: http://www.tomthumb.com/ShopStores/SimpleNutrition.page?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment. Please email me directly if you need a response right away!